I help you become
what you want to
be known for
(and paid for).
Hi, I’m Jen – I love brands because brands make the world-go-round. People have called me a marketing mastermind, a success strategist and a brand expert.
What I do is simply this: I teach entrepreneurs how to master and monetize their businesses, create an unforgettable personality brand and dominate their niches by turning their ideas – their brilliant, world-changing ideas – into CASH and MEANING.
This happens when you are willing to master the art and science of building a lust-worthy brand that matters to the people who are waiting for you.
See, I’ve got a not-so-secret superpower: a sixth sense for turning your juicy purpose into a profitable, fabulous lifestyle.
I can hear the cha-chings hiding in your concepts, sniff out every gorgeous greenback you should be making, and spot growth opportunities from 100 paces.
But this is about so much more than Benjamins, baby.
We both know you’ve got serious potential for greatness & fame – and that success will help you live the life you really want.
We both know it’s your duty to bring your message to your tribe. (After all, we really need you.)
But these things only becomes REAL when you start really making money doing that THING that you love.
When your THING (brand, offerings, vibe, etc.) is something OTHERS love too… that’s when your passion project turns into profit.
Yes, it takes guts to get the glory. Building a soul-centered business that’s makes big bucks is hard work. But it’s do-able, and there are steps and methods that will get you there – faster.
And I’m the one who’ll show you the way.
Here’s how we’ll make it happen:
Streamlining your road to becoming a purpose-driven cash maven is a job for both sides of your brain. It takes proven scientific methods, and a deep, intuitive connection to the work that serves your soul. When they’re in harmony… magic just can’t help unfolding. Your confidence builds and you share more. There is certainty in how you’re putting yourself out there. People, by nature, crave certainty.
It all begins when you make your life your business. You do that by artfully and practically looking for ways for others to see you, to hear you (and pay you) for your great work.
I won’t tell you what you want to hear all the time. In fact, I’m probably going to ask you to detach from some business stuff that you have gotten used to.
But I can promise you: the results will. be. epic.
At this point, you’re probably wondering: “Why should I trust you to deliver all this goodness? What’s your story, anyway?”
It’s quite a winding yarn – but I’ll give you the Sparknotes version.
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly:
My journey to a kickass, game-changing business (with clients to match)
Let’s take it back for a second – way back.
I was born in a small town on the north shore of Hawaii to two loving, hard-working parents and my fabulous, kooky grandmother Generosa. Generosa was a shimmering woman who lived up to her name – she’s the most glorious, generous human being I’ve ever had the privilege to know.
She embodied grace and edge – crazy, bold style laced with unmistakable brilliance. One of the first women to bring healthcare to the elderly in the state of Hawaii, she taught me entrepreneurship doesn’t have to be scary. She helped me realize that letting your sparkle shine for the whole world to see isn’t just a suggestion – it’s a birthright.
To this day, I ask myself WWGD – what would Generosa do? How would she pay it forward with loving precision?
While my parents spent the day on their grind at government jobs, teaching me the value of putting in the work to reach your dreams, I was soaking in every bit of the world I could. I devoured books, chatted endlessly with my grandma, and daydreamed extravagantly about what life was like beyond my tropical shores.
But my big ideas (and precocious vocabulary) weren’t well received by everyone.
I was something of a fish out of water in my little town. I was a little too curious, a little too loud, and a little too bookwormy for my tiny Catholic school, or the public school girls I tried to make friends with. Somehow, my wild imagination threatened them. They accused of me being “weird”, and having delusions of grandeur. They’d prank call me, bully me, even appear on my doorstep ready to duke it out.
So I taught myself three rules for survival:
1) I had to fight for everything I wanted – even acceptance.
2) Women were mean, they would never like me, and I’d always get along better with men.
3) I should hide my extrovert nature for my own safety.
It would be a long time (10 years into my corporate career, to be exact) before I recognized the havoc those rules were wreaking on my life.
I had been so successful working for huge names like Oracle and Microsoft, but somehow, there was this big, sad, empty space within me. I was desperate to find more meaning in my life, and understand why I felt incomplete, despite everything. So I dove into personal development and transformative work to learn more about who I was, and who I was supposed to be.
The more progress I made, releasing old beliefs, forgiving my tormentors, and letting go of the scared little girl still inside me, the clearer the explanation became:
I wasn’t doing my life’s work.
I felt deeply called to serve women – entrepreneurs, specifically – but I was ignoring that desire because of my old fears. But, once I shifted away from that old “I won’t be accepted” story, my life and business changed completely.
While I was making huge leaps… I wasn’t out of the woods quite yet.
Fast forward a few years. It was 2006, and I took a risk: I left my well-paying corporate gig, re-mortgaged my house, and went gangbusters to open the most fabulous lingerie store in Hawaii (way before Victoria’s Secret set foot on the island).
That first year went flawlessly. I had a gorgeous shop, and an awesome team. Oprah had just made getting your bra sized trendy, and we raked in a cool $1.7M like nothin’.
Then, the 2007 recession hit. Hard. Cash started running down the drain like water. I lost my best staff, fought with my husband (leading to a divorce), and lost my amazing grandmother, all within 2 months.
I felt completely lost – and that was terrifying. I cried (buckets). I drank tea and nothing else for what felt like days on end, and withered to 100 lbs. My kids watched their mom turn into the opposite of the ‘fabulous Jen Kem’.
For what felt like the first time… I didn’t know what to do. And it was the most painful experience of my life.
Then, I managed to turn it around.
It started with a simple question. “Jen, how are you gonna get out of this one?”
I had no idea. So I had to take the next route: find someone who could help me.
The idea of being told “no” by the people I needed made me nauseous. Being told “no” sucks. Getting rejected from that online partnership, being turned down for that venture capital investment, or having someone laugh at you while you try to make big moves is like a punch in the gut.
But it was ask or die. So I bit the bullet, and went back to panties – big girl panties, that is – and went after the people, courses, and opportunities that would get me back on my feet.
With the help & love of brilliant minds I continue to call my mentors and friends, I honed in on what I was really all about (my brand), and I began my float back to my advertising and marketing strategy days.
Six years later, I’ve created a business that earns almost as much as my shop did – but with a fatter margin. That means more cash in my pocket, more chances to serve the world in bigger and better ways, and more determination to help others ask for what they deserve.
Could I have done it solo? No ma’am. The help I received didn’t just push me forward – it lifted me up. It made me strong. And it sped my journey up like you wouldn’t believe.
And every business owner craves to have their whole life aligned (note I wrote “aligned” not “balanced”…I believe balance is a myth); I’m proud to say as a result of being ultra-clear on my own mission and brand that I live in my highest values today: with a man who is perfectly imperfect for me (and I adore), 2 daughters who are growing into fine, young women, and a new baby boy in the family…along with 3 furry-legged kiddos who make all of it worth every day. I’ve added Flow to my Hustle. And it’s hot.
Which brings us to right here, right now.
“If you seek clarity, look no further than Jen Kem. Jen has the ability to make you see that all things are possible. Her realistic approach is both encouraging and challenging. Jen Kem is a no-nonsense jewel in our midst.”- Toby Portner
So what does this all mean?
So what does this all mean? Why have I peeled back the layers and shared these ups and downs of my journey with you?
Because I want you to know, beyond a reasonable doubt, that I’m for real. I’ve been put through my paces in the corporate and entrepreneurial sphere. I’ve had successes, failures, then created even bigger successes with what I learned. I’ve made millions, and lost them, and got them back again. It wasn’t fun, but it was necessary, so that I could evolve into the person who teaches you what (not) to do today.
Now, I stand before you unapologetically, with intimate knowledge of the risks it takes to put yourself out there and market yourself. I understand your hesitations, your fears. I’ve faced them all.
I want you to know what I know. I want to teach you how to become your own business strategist and marketing maven. I want to equip you with all the savvy you need, so you can stop wasting cash on programs & courses you don’t need – and start raking in those dolla dolla bills instead.
See, there’s a reason the programs you’ve tried in the past didn’t work. They treat the symptoms, but not the root of the problem.
Most struggles with branding can be traced back to a single obstacle: you’re not comfortable saying who you really are and what you do. You hesitate to speak your story, when that’s the very thing that will attract people (and profit) to you.
The beauty is, once you can identify that soul element that highlights exactly why you’re born for this, everything clicks into place in your business. You are free to create products and services that align with your purpose. Your strategy becomes clearer, and more precise. You can make decisions from a place of empowered confidence, because you’re acting from the roots of your truth.
Strategy is about ‘how’, as much as ‘what’. When you understand your brand inside out, and the steps you should take to create a business in line with both your soul and your financial goals… that’s where magic with real meaning happens.
If you’re feelin’ me, you’re probably wondering “What’s the next step?”
You deserve to know exactly what it takes to create a brand that’s a true, incredible representation of you and your great work.
So, you can take one of two roads.
You can head over to my Services page to learn how we can jam together. But as of 2015, my availability is scarce.
What I recommend most highly for you, Powerhouse-in-Training, is the full experience. A program that teaches you everything you need to know to build your epic empire, and stand out beautifully in the online space.
It’s called: Master Brand. And it. is. everything.
This is the last branding course you’ll ever need. Essentially, it’ll teach you, start to finish, everything I’ve learned about impactful, profit-pumping marketing in my 16+ years in this field. It’ll arm you with the skills you need to shine and thrive the way you deserve – for good.
Make the power moves that will shift your business, brand, and life towards your purpose in more brilliant ways than you ever thought possible.
You can do this. And I’ll be right behind you the whole way. Start your journey now.
P.S. Have you gotten your free copy of The Brand Map yet? It’s what you need right now. Download it here.
‘When it comes to fashion and anything fabulous, ask Jen. When you have a dream and need that push to make it a reality, talk to Jen. When you want an honest opinion, call Jen. That simple! Jennifer Kem is someone that leads by example, dreams big and takes action and helps you when you want help. She has been an invaluable small business trainer for my organization and a business mentor to me.”- Christiane Bolosan-Yee
Jennifer “Jen” Kem is a San Francisco Bay Area-based branding and marketing expert who gets entrepreneurs seen, heard, and paid – for being themselves.
She’s the creator of the Master Brand Method: a framework to develop powerful brand archetypes that win customers’ hearts, leveraging Jennifer’s 17 years of corporate experience and her launching of multiple companies.
She uses the Master Brand method in digital strategy coaching for emerging entrepreneurs, celebrity brands like Oprah Winfrey Network and Steve Harvey, and major corporations including Verizon, Blue Cross Blue Shield, and Bank of Hawaii.
What she most passionate about in her work today is her legacy project: Femmefluence, a platform that supports women leaders to fully rise into their influence and affluence, so they can make an even greater impact in the world.
Jennifer serves up straight talk wrapped in love, because she understands entrepreneurs’ challenges: She built a retail business and became a millionaire at 32, only to lose it all in the recession two years later. She is now the successful owner of three million-dollar brand-building businesses and the mother of three children.
Are we a perfect fit?
Our Client Profile
I’m all over this site (so typical for a Ruler Archetype) so you have a pretty good idea how I do things in the world.
One of the key things I help people do is get flawless diamond-clear on who their ideal client is. I call this group of people my Audience. So as I describe who ‘you’ are, ask yourself if what I list resonates, you get that tingly feeling and you say to yourself “Hey, she’s talking about me!”
If this doesn’t happen, you are welcome to learn and hang with our tribe, as much of what we do can support most entrepreneurs and business owners. However, we’re probably not a great fit for one-on-one work together (only available in my VIP Luxe Day).
We’re an awesome fit if YOU darling:
- Are ready to not just get massive clarity on who you are and what your message is, you are ready and willing to take massive action on what you learn. I’m a lifelong learner but have been around the block long enough to know when I don’t do anything with what I’ve learned, I tend to either beat myself, blame my coach, claim confusion, and/or quit altogether. We’ll work amazing together if you understand that strategy is only as good as the execution that follows, and that 90-day micro-plans work better than trying to boil the ocean. You fully own that you must do the work. We don’t do the work for you.
- Have done some work in personal and professional leadership, this is not your first foray into this realm. You get that success comes with training your mindset muscle on a regular basis. You know that investing in your mind is a critical part of building a Master Brand and business you feel good about. Please don’t read this as “oh, I have to be perfect” or “she only works with people who have their ‘ish’ together.” Not at all. We’ll just do better if we’re honest with where you are at and what you want to accomplish vs. me working with the person you’re sending as your representative. There’s no shame in our work together. Only liberation and results (and don’t forget fun!).
- Are seeking a mentor who’s extremely certain. This is one of the pillars of my practice (to read how my team rolls, visit our Culture Credo). The word “certain” will resonate with you as someone who is a stand for your brand, someone who’s been in the game a long time, and someone who uses a method that works. My team and I understand the reasons people buy and the psychology of human consumption (our definition of Marketing) and we’re confident in that expertise. We help you co-create using these best practices. At the end of the day, it’s your brand and it’s your business. Our job is to give you all we’ve got. We don’t serve up magic pills or overnight results – anyone who says they can do that for you is leading you on. You live in the spirit of “patient urgency”.
- Are serious about building a brand with impact. What that means is you recognize that investing in this type of work is non-optional. To us, Branding is Everything. Every move you make needs to keep the end-to-end in mind. We only do things end-to-end, we don’t do parts of things. We will refer you to our best resources and never to someone who hasn’t been impeccable to work with.
- Truly want to make conscious cash that’s attached to something meaningful. You leave any space, physical or virtual, better than when you arrived. Your attitude towards money isn’t ruled by scarcity…possibility and abundance aren’t woo-woo words to you. Planning and structure may be a little painful for you, so you want to have someone shape your strategy with and for you. You are a Creator, and you don’t want to waste another day with another poor plan. You’re tired of blowing your hard-earned dollar on activities that aren’t giving you a healthy return on investment.
- Understand that truth is spoken here. I’d rather tell you what’s not working as soon as we discover it, than waste time fixing something not worth putting more time, effort and/or money into. Our goal is to save you multiple extra steps. Even if that means unraveling, dialing back, or shelving something that exists. If you are attached to any of your products and services, people who work best with us have an open mind about letting go. It may happen. And being open to something that will work better will be essential for our work together to make sense.
‘What Jen has done for me in launching my business has been phenomenal. She has helped me to create a brand that truly speaks to who I am authentically. The way that she communicated and took me through the process of finding my niche market spoke to me in a way that even my own business education did not.”
- Staton Ann Mineshima